Choosing the right platform can be critical to the success of your commerce project. Two of the most popular options for commerce and web application development are ASP.NET Core and ASP.NET MVC.
In this article we explain the differences and advantages of both Microsoft technologies and explain why we at Smartstore have made the transition from ASP.NET MVC to ASP.NET Core.
A look at ASP.NET MVC (up to Smartstore version 4x)
ASP.NET MVC is a framework for web applications developed by Microsoft that implements the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern.
In software development, a framework is a prefabricated set of software components that serves as a basis for the development of applications in a specific context. A framework usually provides structures, functions and tools that facilitate certain standard tasks and thus accelerate and cheapen the development process!
The MVC pattern in ASP.NET MVC divides an application into three main components: the model, the view and the controller, each of which has its own "job". The model manages only the data of the application, the view takes care of the presentation, thus manages the user interface, and the controller manages the logic that holds everything together.
ASP.NET MVC was first 2009 released as an alternative to the then .NET Framework. It is designed to facilitate the creation of maintainable, testable and scalable web applications. The framework integrates features such as routing to simplify mapping URLs to controllers and actions, models and views to make it easier for developers to work with data, and filters to enable features such as authorization and input validation.
The ability to easily test and maintain code is especially important in large projects, as it can help avoid costly errors that are difficult to fix later. Codebases grow over time, and teams change frequently. A well-designed web application development framework helps maintain your web application as it grows.
However, Microsoft stopped further development of ASP.NET MVC in the year 2018 discontinued. The framework still works, but is no longer being actively developed, and no new features or updates are planned. That's why we at Smartstore decided in the year 2020 decided to switch to the new ASP.NET Core Framework.
ASP.NET Core vs. ASP.NET MVC: The main differences
ASP.NET Core is the latest version of ASP.NET and offers many improvements over ASP.NET MVC. Smartstore 5 is completely developed in Core. The most important difference from the predecessor: ASP.NET Core is cross-platform. You can use it to create web applications that run on Windows, Linux, or macOS. This gives you the freedom to choose the best operating system for your application.
Another significant difference is that ASP.NET Core uses the new Razor Pages Framework to create web applications. Razor Pages is a simpler and more user-friendly page-based coding model compared to the traditional MVC framework and is specifically designed for building page-centric web applications.
Why should companies choose ASP.NET Core and therefore Smartstore for their commerce web development?
ASP.NET Core is the ideal choice for web developers who want to create web-enabled applications. It is a cross-platform open source framework that can be used to build web, cloud, desktop and even IoT applications.
Here are some reasons why you should consider Smartstore for your next web development task:
- Cross-platform support: Smartstore with the current version 5 of .NET Core offers programmers the choice between all operating systems. Whether you want to deploy your application on Windows, Linux, or macOS, ASP.NET Core can help. This is a great advantage for companies that want to address multiple platforms with Smartstore web applications.
- Less code: ASP.NET Core requires less code than ASP.NET MVC. This is partly because many features that were previously implemented in ASP.NET MVC, such as. Authorization and session status, have been moved to middleware components.
- Easy maintenance: .NET Core takes a modular approach that simplifies maintenance thanks to Dependency Injection (DI). DI is a technique for creating loosely coupled, testable code.
- Cloud-based web applications: ASP.NET Core and Smartstore are excellent choices for developing Cloud-based web applications. The framework provides built-in support for developing and deploying applications on Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and other cloud platforms.
- Better security: Security is a top priority when developing any type of web application. With ASP.NET Core you can achieve this by supporting HTTPS enforcement.
- Rapid development: ASP.NET Core was designed from the ground up for fast and easy development. A lean project system, automatic dependency injection and built-in support for unit tests all contribute to making development faster and easier.
- Better portability: ASP.NET Core is a cross-platform framework that runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Since it is based on the .NET standard, you can use the same code on all three platforms. In addition, ASP.NET Core applications can be deployed in Docker containers, making them even more portable. The cross-platform development capabilities of .NET Core and Smartstore make it a great choice for developers.
For more information about "Shop and Web App with Smartstore - the ultimate eCommerce operating system" please visit our website at: https://smartstore.com/de/shop-und-web-app-mit-smartstore-dem-ultimativen-ecommerce-betriebssystem/
Wenn If you have any further questions or would like to make an appointment for a live demo, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can contact us via the Contact Form at , by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone Monday through Friday between 10 and 16 clock at the telephone number +4923153350.